- My favourite way to de-stress after the craziness that is exam season is by cozying up by the fireplace (real or MacBook version), grabbing a glass of Nog, and diving into a fresh read. Wild has been my most recent beloved book, telling the true story of Cheryl Strayed’s hike of self discovery on the Pacific Crest Trail. Sounds dry, I know, but it is an amazing story, and the perfect holiday book—particularly for inspiring self-reinvention, and some motivation for New Years Resolutions. If you aren’t a reader, at least check out the new film adaptation coming out soon starring Reese Witherspoon. For those who are looking for a lighter read after the exam stretch, check out It by it-girl Alexa Chung.
- With all the potlucks, parties and festivities over the holiday season, a classic staple for pumping up an outfit and to make sure you aren’t out-sparkled by the holiday décor, is some statement jewelry. One of our favorites is the J.Crew Glacier Necklace. It makes sure you look pulled together whether you’re wearing a cocktail dress, or a tee and jeans.
- This is the best discovery I have made in a very long time: Bitter Orange & Myrrh and Snow Covered Pine Cloche Candles. These candles will transport you to feelings of pure holiday cheer, even in the midst of your worst exam breakdowns. They come in other scents as well, including Crackling Firewood Ember, Winter White Cranberry, and Cinnamon Mulled Cider.
- Some good study tunes are always a winter necessity. These albums are so good they will transition you right from the stress of Stauffer to the relaxation of your winter break. rose ave. by You + Me is the work of friends Dallas Green (of City and Colour) and Pink, written and recorded in just two weeks. Some of my favourite songs off the album are Open Door, and From a Closet in Norway (Oslo Blues). Another great transition album is Dream Your Life Away by Vance Joy – be sure to give Mess Is Mine a listen.
- Lush Bath Bombs. The luxurious big-girl version of a bubble bath. Each bath bomb is a surprise – fizzling, colourful, and deliciously scented. They are great as cheap presents for a Secret Santa, stocking stuffers for your girlfriends and sisters, or as a special treat for yourself!
- Stand out from the sea of knit beanies and make a dashing statement with a felt hat. This is one of my favourites that I’ve found in my search – decently priced so it won’t break the bank but still great quality. Staring At Stars Scout Panama Hat is not too big and floppy, but not too small that it resembles a fedora – a necessary resemblance to avoid. It also comes in a gorgeous cobalt blue if you want to make an even bolder statement.
- Winter is all about the layers. This quilted down vest is ideal for the indecisive weather we’ve been having lately. Pair it with a warm, knit sweater for a sunny day in the snow or toss it under you winter coat to combat the cutting winter winds that Kingston so graciously offers.
- The Cube is Polaroid’s response to the GoPro. Adorably designed, super portable with great photo and video quality, and an array of attachments and accessories, the Cube is the perfect accessory to document all the adventures of your winter holidays and the new year to come.
Maddie Pace, Online Contributor
Graphic: From respective websites, assembled by Maddie Pace